Saturday, February 1, 2014

Revival Time and an Update

As I was thinking this week about my life and the direction it has taken in the last three years, I remembered that I had once created this blog about becoming me.

So, here's what happened in a nutshell.

July 2011 -- Our family of three took a road trip to Ohio and on the way back, we rode to the top of the St. Louis arch!  My husband and I decided that we wouldn't renew our adoption homestudy the upcoming March.  We felt blessed and content.

August 2011-- While in the middle of organizing the Parent Council at my son's school, we got a phone call that changed our lives concerning adoption.  I play a piano solo in church! 

September 2011 -- We adopted a beautiful baby boy.  The adoption circumstances were completely opposite of what we had anticipated or desired when we first applied to adopt 5 years earlier.  We literally walked through fire to decide if it was right.  Our second son is now 2 1/2 years old, beautiful and thriving.

October 2011 -- Our son's birthmother decides to open the adoption (thankfully), and we've been sharing that joy with her ever since.

May 2012 -- I decide to be the Parent Council President for one more year.

December 2012 -- I am asked to apply to be a member of the School Board for my son's charter school.  I decide that I am unhappy with my health and am determined to change it for good.

January 2013 -- I am voted to be on the School Board as the Parent Council representative.  I start my health journey by eating clean and cutting out refined sugars.

April 2013 -- I decided I'm finally leaving Facebook, and I do.
April 2013 -- the director of my son's school submits his resignation/retirement, and the Board starts looking to change things at the school.  I'm put to task in leading out discussions, tours of other schools, and helping to implement the change.

May 2013 -- I lose a lot of friends at my son's school as the teachers and director do not agree with the Board's vision and desire to return to our original charter.

June 2013 -- Our School Board votes to bring in another charter school company to take over our school.  Half of the student body leaves; 80% of the teachers leave.  My term as Parent Council President ends, and my friend and President-Elect takes over and begins helping implement the changes that the new school will bring.

August 2013 -- School starts, and I'm still busy with being on the school board, but I slow down my volunteering in other areas at the school, but still go in a couple times of week with my toddler in tow.

September 2013 -- We drive to Arizona to be with our friends as they are sealed as a family in the LDS Temple.

November 2013 -- After a year of yo-yo-ing up and down with my weight, I decide to make a permanent change as I find a health program designed to reach optimal health and maintain it for life.

December 2013 -- I implement the changes, and I start to see rapid weight loss.  By the end of the month, I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant with my oldest son.

January 2014 -- One year after I decided to initially make changes, I officially have lost 50 pounds!  I decide to take another big leap and become a health coach with the program to help others.  (I will write another post on this later as it has EVERYTHING to do with the title of this blog.)  I return to Facebook initially to keep updated with the healthy support groups, but realize that if I want to help more people get healthy, I have to re-expand my circle of friends.  I have decided to stay away from certain topics and groups that caused so much controversy and anguish before.  I will be using it primarily to help me reach others to get healthy.

Today -- I'm still on the School Board, but it isn't taking nearly as much time as it was.  I've decided that while I've learned a lot, I won't be pursuing this branch in my life as it takes me away from my kids even though it is FOR my kids. In good news, the enrollment at the school is officially MORE than it was at the end of the school year last year, and we anticipate that we will be almost full next year.
     I still have 45 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight, but I'm on track to reach it by May of THIS year.  I'm excited for what the future holds, and I'm more confident than ever that I'm becoming the real me and reaching a potential that I dared not discover before.  I will officially start finding clients and being proactive in helping others THIS week as a new health coach.  I'm terrified and excited at the potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment